top of page

Anthony Joshua says it's up to Fury' to fight him for the WBC belt


Anthony Joshua claims that he wishes to return to the ring as soon as possible.


On Saturday night, the heavyweight returned to winning ways, entirely live on DAZN.


Joshua was fighting Jermaine Franklin of America over 12 rounds at the O2 Arena in London.


The three scorekeepers at the arena awarded "AJ," who was competing for the first time under new head coach Derrick James, the victory by recording scores of 118-111 and 117-111 twice.


And Joshua was immediately questioned about his next play after making it to 25-3.


The second of his planned three outings this year will take place during what he called "summer."


While Dillian Whyte in a rematch is another possible option for the 33-year-old, fans have clamoured for an all-British showdown between Joshua and WBC champion Tyson Fury. Fury recently failed to land an undisputed title fight against the current Ring Magazine, IBF, WBA Super, WBO, and IBO champion Oleksandr Usyk.


“You know me, I try and provide for the fans,” he said when speaking to DAZN’s Ade Oladipo in the ring. “I know who the fans want. The ball’s in [Fury’s] court. I would 100 percent be honored to compete for the WBC heavyweight championship of the world. I stand here and I say that proudly. That would be an honor.


“So, wherever you are,” Joshua said directly to ‘The Gypsy King’ on the mic, “if you’re listening, you know my management, you know my promoter.


“We’ve had [dialogue] before so let’s continue and hopefully we can get this on sooner [rather] than later. We’re not getting any younger.”


It is still unclear whether the previously agreed-upon fight can be confirmed once more, but all signs point to the largest commercial asset in the sport in the UK getting a significant fight next, regardless of who it may be against.



Comments


bottom of page