Canelo Alvarez, the undisputed super middleweight champion, stated on Wednesday that he will be prepared to return to the ring in May and that he hopes to face light heavyweight champion Dmitry Bivol again in September.
Bivol won a unanimous decision against Alvarez in Canelo's second career light heavyweight fight. Alvarez had not competed at light heavyweight since 2019 when he defeated Sergey Kovalev to win the WBO title.
Bivol's unexpected victory against Alvarez in the contest moved Alvarez back to the super middleweight category, where he easily defeated Gennady Golovkin in September to hold onto his titles for the WBA (Super), WBC, IBF, WBO, and The Ring.
"My plan right now is to return in May. I'm going to start training in January and see how I feel after that," Alvarez said, referring to his recovery from left wrist surgery last month.
"The idea is to return in May with a tuneup fight to see how I feel and then get the rematch against Bivol in September," Alvarez said.
Bivol, who is on a 21 fight winning streak, just defeated Gilberto Ramirez by unanimous decision earlier this month.
If the fight with Canelo doesn't take place, Artur Beterbiev, the current undisputed light heavyweight champion, is Bivol's likely next opponent.