top of page

Canelo Alvarez not keen on fighting Terence Crawford



Canelo Alvarez is looking for more challenging opponents, not someone who is three weight divisions lower than him.


That was his message after he dominated Jermell Charlo on September 30 and became the undisputed super middleweight champion. It was the first time two undisputed male champions faced each other in the ring in the four-belt era. Charlo, who was the junior middleweight champion, put up a brave fight, but he could not handle Canelo’s power. Canelo walked him down and landed body shots that set up head shots. He knocked him down in the seventh round and won by unanimous decision. Charlo survived until the end of the 12th round, but he had no chance of winning.


Terence Crawford, who is the undisputed welterweight champion, has recently expressed interest in fighting Canelo. He said that he is open to a mega fight with the Mexican superstar, even though he would have to gain 21 pounds to match him. Crawford had previously said that there are weight classes for a reason.


But Canelo is not interested in fighting a welterweight like Crawford, who would be giving up too much size and strength. He said at the post-fight press conference


“You know, I always say that if the fight makes sense, I’m open to it. But he’s not in my plans,” Canelo said about Crawford. “Maybe if it makes sense, I don’t know. Right now, I’m just enjoying this fight. You’ll find out what’s next soon enough.”
Canelo also said that he is feeling good and healthy after his historic win.
“My hand is 100 percent and I feel good,” Alvarez said. "I feel great and I’m still in my prime. I feel fresh, I’m ready.
" I’m back. Finally, I’m back. I feel confident right now. I feel great. I’m so happy because I didn’t feel like this for a long time. Now I’m back.”

Who will Canelo fight next? Comment and let us know.


Comments


bottom of page