top of page

Francis Ngannou's Unforgettable Bout: The Night He Almost Shocked Tyson Fury

In a night filled with awe-inspiring moments, Francis Ngannou nearly pulled off the upset of the century when he sent Tyson Fury crashing to the canvas with a thunderous knockdown. But despite the heart-pounding action, it was Fury who narrowly clinched a controversial split decision, leaving fans and fighters alike in disbelief.

The lead-up to this bout was marked by skepticism and doubt about Ngannou's chances against one of the greatest heavyweight boxers of the past 30 years. Many wrote him off before the fight even began, but Ngannou had other plans. He stepped into the ring with unwavering determination, unafraid to trade punches with the boxing legend.

The excitement reached its pinnacle when Ngannou unleashed a colossal left hand that found Fury behind the ear, sending him tumbling to the canvas. Though Fury regained his footing, he struggled to find his rhythm for much of the fight. Yet, he managed to land more punches than Ngannou, ultimately swaying the judges' scorecards in his favor.

The decision came as a shock, with scores of 96-93 and 95-94 for Fury and an equal 95-94 for Ngannou. Fury secured the victory, but Ngannou's unforgettable performance had the world buzzing.

Fury graciously acknowledged Ngannou's skill, saying,

"Francis is a hell of a fighter. He gave me one of my toughest fights in the last 10 years." Ngannou, despite the disappointment of the result, maintained a positive outlook, saying, "I’m feeling great. I’m very happy. I might come up short today, but I can bite. I’m just a fighter and I’m ready to fight anytime soon. We can run it back again. I’m sure I’m going to get better."

The action-packed fight had the audience on the edge of their seats. Fury opened aggressively, testing Ngannou's arsenal, and it was Ngannou who drew first blood with a stinging uppercut. However, it was Ngannou's colossal overhand left that will be etched in the memories of fight fans, sending Fury to the canvas in a moment that left the crowd in Saudi Arabia in a state of both awe and shock

Fury's coaches advised him to ease up and not underestimate Ngannou's power, which had been the cause of concern throughout the fight. Fury adjusted, but Ngannou continued to press forward, utilizing his punching power and relentless pace to keep Fury at bay.

As the fight unfolded, Fury started to find his groove and landed some of his best punches. Ngannou, however, showcased a granite chin and continued to threaten Fury with his power punches. The match entered its final round, and while Fury appeared to be aware that the scorecards might be in his favor, Ngannou kept seeking the knockout until the bell signaled the end of the night.

Though the official result went Fury's way, Ngannou's unforgettable performance left a lasting impression. As he remarked,

"Tonight was about dedication, determination, hope, and the pursuit of a dream."

While Fury's next bout is already set with Oleksandr Usyk, he didn't rule out the possibility of facing Ngannou once again.

"There’s no rematch clause either way," Fury stated, "but I would like to do it again down the line. I’m sure Francis would like to do it as well."


bottom of page