top of page

Paulo Costa Gives Insight Into his failed Negotiation for Whittaker Fight



Paulo Costa shares his side of the story after his fight against Robert Whittaker which was scheduled to take place at UFC 284 in Perth, Australia was called off.


It’s fair to say that the Brazilian knockout artist isn’t having the best of time in the promotion as he has once again found himself in a rift with the company and president Dana White over financial dues.


'Borrachinha' who was once considered the face of the middleweight division is slowly fading away as he has only one win in the last three fights in the octagon which includes a KO loss to then Kingpin, Israel Adesanya.


The 31-year-old did manage to turn things for himself but once again has landed in trouble as his fight against the No.1 contender Whittaker is cancelled due to the failed negotiations.


'Borrachinha' was in attendance at Ariel Helwani’s podcast show, The MMA Hour where he shared what went wrong between the two parties.


“They didn't sent a contract or terms or nothing. They just say, 'If you want to fight Whittaker, let's do that fight,” Costa said Wednesday on The MMA Hour.


“I will not [fight] for the same money. It’s a main event in Australia. The people from Australia will be there. It’s a great fight. So [$70,000] is not enough for that. Just go a little bit higher, and they said no.”


It will be interesting to see where Costa goes from here as he previously indicated that his time in the UFC might be up as he has promising offers coming from the other promotions.


Comments


bottom of page