top of page

Daniel Dubois Parts Ways with Trainer Shane McGuigan, Joins Forces with Don Charles


Daniel Dubois Parts Ways with Trainer Shane McGuigan, Joins Forces with Don Charles


British heavyweight contender Daniel Dubois has made a significant change in his training camp, parting ways with trainer Shane McGuigan and enlisting the services of Don Charles. Dubois, currently the WBA "regular" champion, is on track to face Oleksandr Usyk for the full title this summer.


Dubois and McGuigan had joined forces in May 2021 following Dubois' defeat to Joe Joyce in November 2020. Under McGuigan's guidance, Dubois rebounded with four consecutive victories, all of them ending inside the distance. His most notable win during this period was a fourth-round stoppage of Trevor Bryan, which earned him the WBA strap.


However, news has emerged that the 25-year-old heavyweight has decided to part ways with McGuigan and has been training alongside Don Charles for the past three to four weeks. Sources close to the situation have confirmed the split, indicating a shift in Dubois' coaching staff.


While Dubois has chosen to work with Charles, his sister Caroline, a highly regarded prospect in women's boxing, will continue to be trained by McGuigan. Caroline recently participated in a media workout alongside her coach, emphasizing their ongoing partnership.


Don Charles, known for his work with British heavyweight Dereck Chisora, who achieved British and European titles under his tutelage, is now set to take on the role of Dubois' trainer. Their first assignment together is likely to be a shot at Oleksandr Usyk's WBA, WBO, IBO, and IBF world heavyweight titles.


As negotiations between Dubois and Usyk failed to yield an agreement, the WBA has announced that a purse bid will be held in Houston, Texas, on May 25 to determine the promoter for the bout. Usyk, as the reigning champion, will receive 75 percent of the winning bid, while Dubois will receive the remaining 25 percent.


With Dubois making a strategic change in his coaching staff ahead of a potentially career-defining fight against Usyk, the heavyweight division continues to intrigue fans with its ever-evolving landscape. The decision to work with Don Charles brings new dynamics to Dubois' training and adds further anticipation to his pursuit of championship glory in the highly competitive heavyweight division.

Comments


bottom of page