Search Results
Search this site
8583 results found with an empty search
- Andre Ward wants to see Tyson Fury face either Francis Ngannou or Jon Jones
Andre Ward, a former two-division world champion, is highly interested in seeing Tyson Fury take on MMA heavyweights Jon Jones and Francis Ngannou, but he doesn't think either fight will take place. When his contract with the company expired, Ngannou left the UFC and gave up the heavyweight title. A returning Jones eventually won the vacant championship. Fury has verbally argued with both boxers multiple times over the past two years. Fury said last week that he has been offered 'hybrid' fights' against both Ngannou and Jones, though he did not specify the specifics of the rules. In 2017, Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor engaged in a major cross-sports boxing battle that was organised by Showtime and the UFC. With over 4 million pay-per-view purchases, the event turned into one of the most successful endeavours in combat sports history. Fury is not currently facing either man, according to Ward. Currently, Fury is having problems finding a challenger for his upcoming fight. Ward would rather see the WBC heavyweight champion straighten out his boxing future first - before he considers any cross-sport encounters. âPersonally, I would like to see [Fury fight] both,â Ward said on The MMA Hour. âI donât see Tyson really fighting either one of those guys. I think Tyson will take a bag like Floyd did, but I think Tyson is really trying to figure this boxing thing out. I want to see what happens with him with this [next fight] because he seems to have trouble getting a fight in boxing, much less an MMA fight, and I donât think right now Tyson Fury should do that. âYouâve been off with boxing, the boxing world is a bit upset. Theyâre clamoring like, âDude, whatâs next? We hear you talk, but whereâs the fight?â If he took that, if he veered that way right now, I donât think itâd be the right time. Get a boxing fight, Joshua, something like that, and then go fight one of those guys.â
- Jake Paul is hopeful of stopping Nate Diaz inside 4 rounds
Nate Diaz won't be lasting in the ring much long with him , in Jake Paul's opinion. Definitely not as long as what his rival predicted. When their fight was made official, Nate Diaz said, "Nate Diaz in round ten." Thereâs just one problem with that guarantee. âItâs an eight-round fight,â Paul had to remind his counterpart of their upcoming August 5 DAZN Pay-Per-View headliner at American Airlines Center in Dallas, Texas. The pair of iconic longtime rivals will meet at a maximum contracted weight of 185 pounds for their upcoming crossover clash. Diaz will make his boxing debut, though the celebrated mixed martial arts (MMA) athlete from Stockton, California was formally trained in boxing. But Jake Paul sounded confident when he said that he intends to make quick work of the Stockton native. âWhatever he wants,â noted Paul. âIâm ready, itâs not going to go that long. I think heâs gonna be sharp for a couple of rounds but thereâs nothing he can do to stop me. Iâm faster, Iâm stronger. Iâm the better boxer. âHeâs gonna be coming forward. He doesnât have head movement. Heâs trying to pressure me. Heâs gonna get diced up. I see it ending in four rounds or less.â Diaz doesnât believe that but he did openly acknowledge the possibility of not prevailing in his first sanctioned boxing match. âIf I lose in the 9th round, thatâd be f----- up,â quipped the 38-year-old Diaz. Theyâll be like âOh he asked for more rounds.ââ
- Mexico set a new world record.
Yesterday in "El Zocalo" in MĂ©xico city , Mexico broke its own record of 14,000 in atendance for the massive boxing class. They now have a new world record of 30,000 people in atendance, this massive boxing class was given by ex champions and new talent. The teachers included the great Julio Cesar ChĂĄvez Sr , Ana MarĂa Torres, Irma Garcia, Erica Cruz and prospect David Picasso. The MĂ©xico city government and the WBC helped gather all these people to try and beat their current record and they not only beat it, they doubled it. Its always good to see people together and team up for something historical like this. The great Julio Cesar ChĂĄvez Sr Ex world champ Ana MarĂa Torres Record breaking 30,000 in atendance.
- A born fighter!
Matthew Saad Muhammad, the former light-heavyweight champion who was abandoned as a youngster and rose to become one of the most thrilling fighters of all time was born Maxwell Antonio Loach in Philadelphia in 1954. When he was an infant, his mother died, and he and an older brother were taken to live with an aunt. According to reports she realised she couldn't raise them both, so she sent the two of them out with orders for the elder boy to abandon young Maxwell, who was just five years old at the time, in the city. âI was alone on the streets. I was so scared. A policewoman found me, and asked me my name. I told her I didnât know my name.â Taken in by Catholic nuns who named him Matthew from the Bible and Franklin because he was found on Philadelphiaâs downtown Benjamin Franklin Parkway. He later lived in foster homes. Saad said he found his calling in a boxing gym in south Philadelphia and started his pro career in 1974, just three years before he won the NABF title. From 1977 to 1981, he won 18 straight fights, many of which were marked by his crowd-pleasing penchant for trading punches. His 1977 NABF title battle with Marvin Johnson, which Saad Muhammad (who had not yet converted to Islam and was fighting under the name Matthew Franklin at the time) won via 12th-round stoppage, is considered one of the great brawls in boxing history. He then fought Johnson for the WBC belt in 1979, scoring a stoppage despite cuts above both eyes in an absolutely classic eighth round. He defended the crown eight times, seven of them by stoppage, until losing it in the 10th-round to Dwight Muhammad Qawi in 1981. His career record of 39-16-3 with 35 knockouts is misleading as it conceals a rapid fall from his prime years. He was, nonetheless, regarded as one of the most thrilling fighters of his time. This goes to show that where you are born and raised doesnt determine who you can become. Rest in peace champ!
- Watch: Larissa Pacheco Brutually KO Amber Leibrock
Larissa Pacheco is absolutely impossible to handle when she is at her best. Pacheco (21-4) easily defeated Amber Leibrock (7-5) in the co-main event of the 2023 PFL 5 to claim the top seed in the women's featherweight standings. The 2022 season champion finished the fight in under 45 seconds. Pacheco seized control of the cage early on in the bout and started stalking forward with powerful, accurate punches. Every strike put Leibrock in a worse position, but Pacheco just kept applying pressure until she knocked Leibrock to the ground to end the first round. Aspen Ladd, who was incorrectly declared to have secured a playoff spot after finishing second earlier in the evening, gets eliminated as a result. Pacheco will face Kolesnyk in the women's featherweight playoff bracket, while Marina Mokhnatkina will face Leibrock.
- Jared Cannonier destroys Marvin Vettori at UFC Vegas 75 main event
After finally returning to Canada last weekend at UFC 289, the UFC headed home to Las Vegas for a Fight Night card headlined by top middleweights at the UFC Apex. The cardâs main event featured a matchup between former middleweight title challengers Marvin Vettori and Jared Cannonier, who were both coming off wins and looking to work towards another shot at Israel Adesanya. The #3-ranked Vettori started the fight off well and even rocked Cannonier in the opening five minutes, but he ended up eating some significant punishment in the second round. The 29-year-old's incredible chin allowed him to carry on for five full rounds and continue throwing back at Cannonier, but when the final bell sounded there was no doubt that "Killa Gorilla" was the victor.
- Tszyu destroys Ocampo.
Tim Tszyu destroys challenger Carlos"Chema" Ocampo in just one round. Tszyu displayed power in knocking out the highly ranked mexican Ocampo defending his intrim WBO superwelterweight title. He made a huge statement tonight taking Ocampo out in just 77 seconds of the very first round.
- Duran one of the all time greats turns 72.
On June 16th 1951 one of the greatest fighters to ever wear boxing gloves was born at Guarare Panama. He was pure heart and courage in the ring and shinning star in boxing scene. Turned professional in the year 1967 at age of 16 years. He had a reputation for being a boxer of courage, resilience, determination and power. Roberto Duran's best days was in the Lightweight division he fought great fights with great men and recorded great victories with 71-1 amazing boxing record in Lightweight division. Nicknamed" Hands of Stone " because of his terrific and ferocious deadly blows that destroyed several notable fighters. He was truly one of the best fighters who ever graced a boxing ring and throughout his amazing boxing career he was absolutely an incredible fighter. Roberto Duran became the first Latin American fighter to capture World boxing titles in four divisions and is one of the most successful fighters that boxed in five decades in history of boxing from 1967 at age of 16 years till 2001 at age of 50 years. As boxing legend cross threshold of 72 years old today. Wishing the boxing legend an amazing and prosperous birthday. Happy Birthday Champ!!!!
- Badou Jack talks about Canelo fight not happenning and why.
World WBC cruiserweight champ Badou Jack came out publicly on social media and said why Canelo fight negociations went bad. Its a shame all these rehydration clauses to have an advantage over the champ, that fights in his weight divisiĂłn. These catchweight fights are unfair and in my opiniĂłn its always a coward move.
- Sergio Pettis Spoils Patricio Freire's Historic Bid, Sets up Showdown with Patchy Mix
In a thrilling display of skill and determination, Sergio Pettis left the Wintrust Arena crowd stunned on Friday night as he dashed the dreams of featherweight champion Patricio Freire. The Bellator 297 main event unfolded epically, with Pettis emerging victorious over Freire in a unanimous decision (49-46, 50-45, 50-45), successfully defending his bantamweight title. Right from the opening bell, Pettis and Freire showcased their elite abilities. The first round witnessed a fierce battle as Pettis utilized his striking prowess while Freire demonstrated his grappling finesse with a well-executed takedown. The tide turned dramatically in the second round when Pettis unleashed a devastating spinning wheel kick that caught Freire off guard. Freire staggered backward, managing to survive until the round's end but was visibly affected. Pettis continued his assault, displaying a masterclass in striking. His kicks and precision jabs sliced through Freire's defenses, leaving a trail of damage on his face. Although Freire showcased his boxing skills and cage control, his efforts fell short of swaying the judges in his favor. As the official decision was announced, a disheartened Freire dropped to his knees in disbelief, while an elated Pettis, interviewed by the legendary John McCarthy, relished in his triumph. Pettis, who won the bantamweight championship in December 2021, successfully defended his title in his first attempt, a testament to his resilience after overcoming a 14-month hiatus due to a knee injury. With this victory, Pettis sets his sights on a unification bout against interim champion Patchy Mix, who emerged victorious in the bantamweight grand prix with a thunderous knockout of Raufeon Stots in April. The anticipation for this matchup is palpable, as two electrifying fighters prepare to clash inside the Bellator cage. Unfortunately, Freire's bid to make history by becoming the first fighter to win championships in three weight classes for the same major promotion fell short. Despite currently holding the promotion's featherweight title and previously reigning as the lightweight champion from 2019 to 2021, Freire's quest for further glory will have to wait. The Bellator 297 main event delivered a night of intense action, showcasing the remarkable talent and resilience of both Pettis and Freire. Fans were treated to a spectacle that will be remembered for years to come. Now, all eyes turn to the upcoming showdown between Sergio Pettis and Patchy Mix, a clash that promises to be an explosive encounter between two extraordinary athletes vying for bantamweight supremacy in Bellator.
- Heavyweight Clash: Jon Jones and Francis Ngannou's Intense Faceoff Ignites Speculation
In a thrilling encounter at the 2023 PFL 5 event held at the Overtime Elite Arena in Atlanta, two titans of the heavyweight division, Jon Jones and Francis Ngannou, had a tense and electrifying faceoff. The meeting between the two fighters, who have been embroiled in a saga of verbal jabs and intense rivalries, left fans eagerly anticipating a potential clash that could go down in combat sports history. Ngannou, now with the PFL, attended the event to witness the action and discuss his recent signing. Meanwhile, Jones, present as a cornerman for his teammate Maurice Greene, who headlined the event, couldn't resist the opportunity to engage with his rival. After Greene's bout, which ended in a unanimous decision loss to Ante Delija, Jones and Ngannou locked eyes in a showdown of words and respect. Jones boldly approached Ngannou, grabbing him and asserting, "You don't want no smoke." Both fighters laid claim to the throne of the heavyweight division, prompting a handshake with Jones adding, "We'll see." Their conversation escalated as Jones questioned Ngannou about his wrestling skills, insinuating that it would take more than a year to prepare for his level of grappling expertise. Ngannou revealed that he had pursued a fight with Jones during his final two years in the UFC, only to find him absent. Jones retorted, "I had to get enough size to kick your ass," as the banter continued. Despite the intense exchange, the moment concluded with smiles and a handshake, demonstrating a blend of rivalry and mutual respect. Although the dream fight between Jones and Ngannou remains uncertain, fans can't help but speculate on what could unfold in the future. Ngannou is eagerly awaiting his PFL debut in 2024, while Jones sets his sights on a potential clash with former UFC heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic later this year. The Jones-Ngannou faceoff has ignited the imagination of fight enthusiasts worldwide, fueling discussions about the potential outcome if these two juggernauts were to meet in the octagon. With their contrasting styles, explosive power, and unwavering determination, it's a collision that promises high drama and incredible action. In the unpredictable world of combat sports, one thing remains certain: the allure of a showdown between Jon Jones and Francis Ngannou has reached a fever pitch, leaving fans anxiously awaiting the moment when these two extraordinary athletes finally meet inside the cage.
- Yoel Romero fails to beat Vadim Nemkov in his last title shot ever at Bellator 297
Yoel Romero has long been regarded as one of MMA's timeless wonders. When defending his title against Romero in the Bellator 297 main event on Friday, light heavyweight champion Vadim Nemkov tried to play the part of Father Time. Romero once more showed he still has some gas left in the tank with some late drama, while Nemkov made a broad choice following primarily one-sided traffic. While consistently splitting Romero's high and tight defensive guard, Nemkov quickly established his supremacy on the floor. Romero struggled to get his shots off as Nemkov fired off quick combinations that repeatedly snapped the opponent's head back. Romero, 46, was aiming to break two records: he wanted to win his first world championship and become the oldest fighter to ever do so in a significant mixed martial arts event. Romero quickly realised that setting new records would be difficult because he was unable to match the younger champion's speed. Romero began acting pathetically injured in the latter stages of the match, attracting laughter from the audience even as he continued to take hard shots from Nemkov. In the fourth round, Romero managed to nearly catch Nemkov with a strong counter while pretending to be injured. After four rounds of one-way traffic in Nemkov's favour, Romero somehow managed to make the fifth and final round intriguing. Nemkov started attempting takedowns while firing in and grabbing Romero's legs. Romero was able to clinch up as a result, take the fight to the ground, and beat Nemkov over the course of the last minute of the round. Romero's effort was too little, too late, as Nemkov won 49-46 on all official judge scorecards to move to 9-0 in Bellator and extend his record for the most successful light heavyweight championship defences to four.











